Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Inauguration

The inauguration was fantastic yesterday. I am so glad to be an American right now. I watched/listened to as much as I could yesterday. Several of my colleagues from DC were there and I have truly enjoyed looking and their pictures and living vicariously through them.

My older daughter got to watch all of it on TV yesterday. I was glad for that. She was in the voting booth with me when we elected our president. It was interesting to get an almost 10 year old's take on the events of the day.
  • She and her friends were glad that Obama was not shot yesterday. With the inauguration following the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. celebration, assassination was on their minds.
  • They didn't like the poem that was read by Elizabeth Alexander. I have to say that I am on the fence about it myself, although I did think of a lesson plan idea based upon it.
  • They liked the Benediction. They thought he was a funny speaker and they liked that he rhymed even if the poem before him didn't!
  • They paid attention to the clothes that everyone was wearing. I wish she could have watched the balls with me later.
  • In her Time Magazine for Kids, she really enjoyed the new photo of the living presidents. Obama is sandwiched between George HW and George W.
She didn't mention it yesterday but she has commented several times lately - she doesn't think Michelle Obama is completely happy. The cover of the Sunday magazine insert featured a family picture of the Obama's. Maybe I agree with her in that case, but I thought Michelle looked beautiful, happy and proud yesterday.

What were your thoughts about the inauguration?

BTW - this is my 50th post. Who knew?

No comments: